1. How did Hello Lovely People get its start? I had been painting for a while as a hobby, but never took my art very seriously. I was searching for a way to be creative, make money and also take care of my 1 year old son. A few friends encouraged me to create my business and it exploded on instagram quickly. I'm very grateful to those who believed I could make my crazy dreams a reality.
2. What is your favorite piece you have made and how did you develop the idea for it? Ahh, choosing a favorite piece is like choosing a favorite child. My favorite constantly changes, but it's always a piece that stems from somewhere inside me- pure creativity and inspiration. It's that feeling of something just coming to you and you can't do or think about anything until you paint it. Those are my favorite because it feels like an almost literal piece of my soul on paper.
3. What currently inspires your work the most? Nature- specifically wildflowers and the desert. Color- deep rich tones and always always every shade of green.
4. Do you have any tips/advice for anyone wanting to dive into watercolor? Don't give up! Watercolor has a mind and soul of its own. It moves and blends and does what it wants. Learn to embrace the flow and let go of the control and you will find that water coloring becomes more enjoyable.
5. What is the one question you are asked the most? I get asked the most about the supplies I use. My answer is always: arches 140 lb coldpress watercolor paper, winsor and newton professional watercolors, Princeton brushes. I think using high quality materials is so vital to the success of painting with watercolor, especially when you're first learning.
6. Anything new happening with Hello Lovely People you want to share? I painted an ad for Pepridge Farms Goldfish that came out in magazines this month that was really fun. I also have a book called "Modern Watercolor" coming out fall 2017 that will provide lots of tips and step by step guides on how to paint everything from florals and landscapes to people.
7. Who is your favorite maker/creator at the moment? I'm super into everything Krista Coons (from @hername_ismud) makes. I've had the pleasure of talking with her about her process and it's just wonderfully amazing and refreshing to see her create something new in the world of ceramics.
8. Describe yourself in three words. Positive, driven, mother.
This month's featured #stitchventure pattern is in collaboration with Kelly Klapstein of Kelly Creates and is the BEST way to get crafty this summer!
Read on to learn more about her work and process as well as enter a giveaway to win a pattern from this month's collaboration!
This month's featured #stitchventure pattern is in collaboration with Dani Ives of Good Natured Art and is the BEST way to get crafty and tune into nature this summer!
Read on to learn more about her work and process as well as enter a giveaway to win a pattern and/or e-course from this month's collaboration!
This month's featured #stitchventure pattern is in collaboration with Valerie McKeehan of Lily & Val and is the BEST way to get crafty and show someone just how much you care about them!
Read on to learn more about her work and process as well as enter a giveaway to win a pattern or a print from this month's collaboration!